martes, 9 de junio de 2020

Speaking of controversial Covid-19 policies changes … let’s talk about food labels

D.C. Diagnosis
Nicholas Florko

Speaking of controversial Covid-19 policies changes … let’s talk about food labels

In recent days the FDA has been flooded with angry screeds from parents worried that a temporary policy that lets food makers make minor changes to products without updating their labels will expose their kids to deadly allergens. So far there are more than 2,000 comments on the docket (That is not normal). They’re pretty heated:
“What the f--- is wrong with you. … I hope you understand how negatively its going affect [sic] many people. If someone dies because of this greedy move I hope you understand its [sic] your fault,” an anonymous commenter wrote. 
“That is the worst thing I've heard this year and believe me this year has been so hard … with Covid-19, our town flooding because of the Dams [sic], my husband and I have both lost our jobs and yet this current news on the foods we eat to survive can actual put my son in the hospital or worse?! Why? Give me a reason that makes me understand why this is happening,” said Rhonda Iwamasa from Michigan. 
But importantly, FDA’s guidance doesn’t apply to changes that would impact a food’s safety. That means changes to any ingredient flagged as an allergen would still have to be marked on a label.

No hay comentarios: