Genomics, Precision Medicine and Health Disparities
This week, we explore how advances in genomics and precision medicine will impact health disparities in the United States. Search our Public Health Genomics Knowledge Base for the latest information on genomics and health disparities.
We also announce a free one hour NIH-CDC webinar entitled: Precision Medicine and Health Disparities: The Promise and Perils of Emerging Technologies.
The webinar will be live and interactive. October 11, 2017: 3:00-4:00 pm EDT. Free registration is required. Sign up NOW!
Last Posted: Aug 10, 2017
- Precision medicine, health disparities, and ethics: the case for disability inclusion.
Sabatello Maya et al. Genetics in medicine : official journal of the American College of Medical Genetics 2017 Aug
- NIH accelerates the use of genomics in clinical care- New funding awards focus on diverse and underserved populations.
NIH News, August 7, 2017
- Medicine Is Getting More Precise
For White People
R Arthur, Five Thirty Eight, August 2, 2017
- Inclusion of diverse populations in genomic research and health services: Genomix workshop report.
Mathew Savio S et al. Journal of community genetics 2017 Jul
- Leveraging community-based participatory research capacity to recruit Pacific Islanders into a genetics study.
McElfish Pearl A et al. Journal of community genetics 2017 Jul
- Remaining Challenges in the Treatment of Tyrosinemia from the Clinician's Viewpoint.
Mitchell Grant A et al. Advances in experimental medicine and biology 2017 959205-213
- Racial/ethnic differences in multiple-gene sequencing results for hereditary cancer risk.
Caswell-Jin Jennifer L et al. Genetics in medicine : official journal of the American College of Medical Genetics 2017 Jul
- Why We Cant Wait: A Public Health Approach to Health Disparities in Genomic Medicine
MJ Khoury, CDC Blog Post, 2013
- Will Healthcare Inequality Cause Genetic Diseases to Disproportionately Impact the Poor?
KV Brown, Gizmodo, July 31, 2017
- Genomic diagnostics within a medically underserved population: efficacy and implications
KA Strauss et al, Genetics in Medicine, July 20, 2017
- Predictors of BRCA1/2 genetic testing among Black women with breast cancer: a population-based study.
Jones Tarsha et al. Cancer medicine 2017 Jun
- Disparities in compliance with the Oncotype DX breast cancer test in the United States: A National Cancer Data Base assessment.
Kozick Zachary et al. American journal of surgery 2017 Jun
- Genomic Study Seeks Clues to Help Explain Breast Cancer Disparities
NCI, June 13, 2017
- Genomics and Health Disparities Lecture Series
National Human Genome Research Institute
- Beliefs about Genetically Targeted Care in African Americans.
Halbert Chanita Hughes et al. Journal of the National Medical Association 109(2) 98-106
- The African American Sequencing Project
23andme research blog, June 12, 2017