martes, 5 de marzo de 2019

What’s going on over at House Oversight?

D.C. Diagnosis
Nicholas Florko

What’s going on over at House Oversight?

I caught up briefly with Oversight Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) late last week to ask how his probe of drug makers is going. He told me Thursday afternoon he was “very pleased” with the information he’s received from drug makers. (A reminder for readers: Cummings demanded a slew of information from 12 drug makers back in January.)

But Cummings also dropped something of a bombshell, at least to me: Not all the companies have complied with the committee’s request. That’s a risky gambit, especially given Cummings has the power to subpoena companies who don’t comply, even forcing them to come before the committee. (This is how Martin Shkreli ended up before Congress in 2016.) At least so far, Cummings doesn't seem ready to take that step. “I haven’t decided who I’ll call,” Cummings told me, when I asked him whether he still wanted to call drug companies before the committee.

No hay comentarios: