viernes, 20 de enero de 2017

#CoverageMatters: Finding Health Care in a Gig Economy

Dept. of Health & Human Services

#CoverageMatters: Finding Health Care in a Gig Economy

I used to work in the tech industry in the San Francisco Bay Area and got health benefits through my employer. But, when my mother got sick, I left that job to be her caregiver. Which also meant finding new health coverage.
Now I’m a Dasher, making money part-time by delivering food on DoorDash. A company in the gig economy, DoorDash allows me to make my own schedule, be my own boss, and pursue my own interests, like playing music. While the flexibility and variety is great, I needed to purchase health insurance and the Affordable Care Act helped me do that.
I try to live and eat healthy. But I have serious, life-long chronic conditions that require prescription medication and regular lab tests, so #CoverageMatters to me.

A plan that I used to have before the Affordable Care Act was bare bones and didn’t help much. As soon as Covered California, our state’s Health Insurance Marketplace, opened for business, I found a plan that fit my needs and budget. My premium last year was only $54 a month after tax credits, and only $58 a month this year. The services that I get now are very helpful and are provided faster. My health has greatly improved and my participation in life is tenfold better. I am living a marvelous life that includes dancing, playing music, contributing to society and sustaining healthy relationships.
DoorDash works with Stride Health to make it easier for Dashers to access coverage through the Affordable Care Act. Stride also provides personalized support from health advisers and pharmacy deals. DoorDash was among 17 companies that pledged to work with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to support Marketplace Open Enrollment for their freelance professionals, entrepreneurs and customers.
READ MORE: #CoverageMatters: Finding Health Care in a Gig Economy

No hay comentarios: