viernes, 19 de diciembre de 2014

Eyole’s #GetCovered Story: Coverage, Not Just Prayer, Gives Me Peace of Mind

Dept. of Health & Human Services
Dec 18, 2014
By: Eyole Mbongo, 31, San Antonio

YouTube Embedded Video: Coverage Gives Me Peace of Mind: Eyole's #GetCovered Story
A couple of years back, I stepped on a rusty nail and went to a clinic. The first thing I was asked: How are you planning to pay? The second: Do you have insurance? The third: What brings you here?
I always thought that sequence of questions was interesting – and not in a good way.
I’m a full-time grad student in public administration at the University of Texas at San Antonio and I work part-time in retail sales. But the paycheck from my part-time job doesn’t cover the cost of health insurance.
I floated for several years without health insurance. My backup plan was prayer; the only thing I could do really was to pray and hope I would not get sick. When I thought I had the flu, my “health plan” was to try to sleep it off. When I had a sore throat and needed an antibiotic, I managed to find a doctor-friend of a friend who would prescribe the medication. When you don’t have health insurance, it’s hard to get a primary care doctor.
Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, I was able to enroll in a quality plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Now I know that if I have to go to a hospital or clinic and the first question they ask is whether I have health insurance, I can say yes and not worry whether I can afford the expense of treatment.
Read More: Eyole’s #GetCovered Story: Coverage, Not Just Prayer, Gives Me Peace of Mind
Share on Facebook

No hay comentarios: