jueves, 4 de diciembre de 2014

Our #GetCovered Story: Insurance Let Us Get Through a Health Crisis Together

Dept. of Health & Human Services
Dec 03, 2014
By: Sharon Evans, 57, Chicago, IL
The Evans Family
Earnest, 59, and Sharon, 57, have been married 22 years. This is their story about what getting coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace meant to them.
Earnest: In July 2013, my wife Sharon was diagnosed with both lung and breast cancer. My immediate thought was that I would need to resign from my job as a vice president for sales of an education company in order to become a full-time caregiver.
Sharon: You have to understand: Both my parents and my only sister had cancer. My diagnosis was frightening news.
Earnest: The complication with my plan was that I would lose our health insurance from my employer. While we were in a position to afford insurance on the private market, no private insurance company would write us a policy due to Sharon's pre-existing condition.
We both had professional careers. We saved well. But if we didn’t have health insurance, these medical bills would have put a huge dent in our retirement savings.
But then I heard about the Affordable Care Act and the Marketplace. I was able to secure coverage for my wife and me through HealthCare.gov, that started January 1, 2014. The pre-existing condition issue was no longer an issue, and we had a choice of providers to choose from.
Read More: Our #GetCovered Story: Insurance Let Us Get Through a Health Crisis Together 
Share on Facebook

No hay comentarios: