Links to all of the code sets can be found on the Code Sets web page.
The CDC maintains a mapping of CPT codes to CVX codes to assist system who receive CPT codes to translate the CPT code into a vaccine product via the CVX code. The goal of the table is to support mapping of CPT codes to CVX codes. It is not intended to support mapping from CVX to CPT nor to be a definitive source for CPT codes. It has been brought to our attention that the current CPT to CVX mapping table contains several instances where a single CPT code is mapped to multiple CVX codes. This duplicate mapping prevents a system from unambiguously translating a CPT code into vaccine product. For this reason, going forward, the CDC will ensure that each CPT code is mapped to only a single CVX code. In cases where multiple relevant CVX codes exist for a single CPT code, the CPT code will be mapped to the “unspecified formulation” CVX code. For example, CPT code 90734 (Meningococcal conjugate vaccine, serogroups A, C, Y and W-135 (tetravalent), for intramuscular use) is currently mapped to both CVX codes 114 (Meningococcal MCV4P) and 136 (Meningococcal MCV4O). Going forward the CPT code will be mapped to the more generic CVX code 147 (Meningococcal MCV4, unspecified formulation).
The following mappings are expected to be updated:
- CPT code 90734 (Meningococcal conjugate vaccine, serogroups A, C, Y and W-135 (tetravalent), for intramuscular use) will be updated to map to CVX code 147 from CVX codes 114 & 136.
- CPT code 90675 (Rabies vaccine, for intramuscular use) will be updated to map to CVX code 90 from CVX codes 18, 175 & 176.
- CPT code 90700 (Diphtheria, tetanus toxoids, and acellular pertussis vaccine (DTaP), for use in individuals younger than seven years, for intramuscular use) will be updated to map to CVX code 107 from CVX codes 20 & 106.
- CPT code 90714 (Tetanus and diphtheria toxoids (Td) adsorbed, preservative free, for use in individuals seven years or older, for intramuscular use) will be updated to map to CVX code 139 from CVX codes 09 & 113.
- CPT code 90714 historically was also used with the Typhoid vaccine. This is no longer the case, so the mapping of CPT code 90714 to CVX code 91 will also be removed.