AHRQ Safety Program for Perinatal Care
About This ProjectThe AHRQ Safety Program for Perinatal Care is designed to help hospitals and clinicians reduce complications during and after childbirth, making care safer for both mothers and babies.
The program builds on knowledge gained from AHRQ's work on the Comprehensive Unit-based Safety Program (CUSP) and the TeamSTEPPS® teamwork system, and from findings from AHRQ's patient safety and medical liability initiative demonstration grants.
As part of the program, participating labor and delivery hospital units will receive support to implement the following improvements:
- Fostering a culture of teamwork and communication.
- Establishing a program of in situ simulation.
- Implementing customizable perinatal safety bundles related to—
- Safe medication administration.
- Monitoring for perinatal safety.
- Rapid response.
- Safe care in focused areas, including obstetric hemorrhage, shoulder dystocia, cord prolapse, and cesarean section.
National Project TeamThis project is coordinated by RTI International and involves experts from the following organizations:
- Medical Teamwork Consultants, LLC .
- National Perinatal Information Center (NPIC) .
- University of North Carolina School of Medicine .
Page last reviewed November 2014