Cases & Commentaries
Hospitalized for pneumonia, a woman with a history of alcohol abuse and depression was found unconscious on the medical ward. A toxicology panel revealed her blood alcohol level was elevated at 530 mg/dL. A search of the ward revealed several empty containers of alcoholic foam sanitizer, which the patient confessed to ingesting. In the accompanying commentary, Stephen Stewart, MBChB, PhD, of Mater Misericordiae University Hospital in Dublin, Ireland, reviews how to prevent serious harm from ingestion of hand sanitizers in the health care setting.