viernes, 20 de marzo de 2015

Celebrating 5 Years: What It Means to #GetCovered

Dept. of Health & Human Services
Mar 20, 2015
By: Stefania Fochi, Sarasota, Florida
I’m one of the 16.4 million uninsured people who have gained health coverage since the passage of the Affordable Care Act five years ago.
For several years I didn’t have health insurance because I couldn’t afford it. As a 26-year-old, I thought I could take the risk, but it still made me very nervous. My parents and I co-own a pasta and empanada factory and I regularly work with heavy machinery. There were times when I was using the big 2,000-pound kneader and almost caught my hand and thought: If I had to go to the emergency room, what would I do?
I also worried about my family’s history of cancer. My mother’s family has struggled with ovarian cancer, but without coverage, I couldn’t afford to get regular checkups. I also couldn’t afford to get an ear problem treated properly for about a decade.
Because of the Affordable Care Act and the Health Insurance Marketplace, I now have affordable coverage that gives me peace of mind and financial security. My Marketplace plan last year cost $98 a month after tax credits.
READ MORE: Celebrating 5 Years: What It Means to #GetCovered
Share on Facebook

No hay comentarios: