Surgeries in Hospital-Owned Outpatient Facilities, 2012 #188
AHRQ Stats: Outpatient Surgery
Of 14.4 million hospital visits involving surgery in 2012 across 28 states, just over half (53 percent) occurred in outpatient settings, while the remainder (47 percent) were inpatient. Nearly all hospital-based surgical procedures related to the eye (99 percent) and ear (92 percent) were outpatient. (Source: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project Statistical Brief #188: Surgeries in Hospital-Owned Outpatient Facilities, 2012
Surgeries in Hospital-Owned Outpatient Facilities, 2012
Lauren M. Wier, M.P.H., Claudia A. Steiner, M.D., M.P.H., and Pamela L. Owens, Ph.D.
- In 2012 across 28 states, 14.4 million hospital visits involved invasive, therapeutic surgeries. Just over half of these visits (53.1 percent) were performed in a hospital-owned ambulatory surgery (AS) setting, and the remaining (46.9 percent) were inpatient.
- Nearly all hospital-based surgical procedures related to the eye (98.8 percent) and ear (91.8 percent) were outpatient. In contrast, obstetrical procedures were nearly all inpatient (97.7 percent).
- The following procedures were among the most common ambulatory surgeries:
- Lens and cataract procedures (99.9 percent performed in ambulatory settings [AS])
- Cholecystectomy/common duct exploration (55.1 percent AS)
- Excision of semilunar cartilage of knee (98.5 percent AS)
- Hernia repair (90.2 percent AS)
- Lumpectomy (96.5 percent AS)
- Decompression peripheral nerve (95.2 percent AS)
- Transurethral excision; drainage; or removal urinary obstruction (71.9 percent AS)
- Pacemaker/cardioverter (64.0 percent AS)
- Skin graft (67.0 percent AS)
- Hysterectomy (39.8 percent AS)
- Laminectomy/excision intervertebral disc (26.1 percent AS)
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario