About Advanced Molecular Detection Clips
Clips are selected weekly from a variety of sources, including PubMed, journal tables of contents, and online media. Special emphasis is given to the use of next-generation genetic sequencing in infectious disease public health surveillance, investigation, and development of new diagnostics and interventions. The collection is not comprehensive but aims to capture highlights, while surveying a wide range of topics. CDC-authored articles are flagged. Items marked I&E address aspects of implementation or evaluation in clinical or public health practice.
Advanced Molecular Detection Clips Content
- Virus Genetic Information Hot Topic At WHO; Flu Framework Under Nagoya Needs More Time
Saez C. Intellectual Property Watch, Jan 29, 2017.
- MDx on the Rise, but Traditional Dx Remains Crucial to Company Portfolios
Johnson M. GenomeWeb, Jan 26, 2017.
- WashU's VirusSeeker Tool Aims to Harness Sequencing Data for Virus Discovery, Analysis
Heger M. GenomeWeb, Jan 26, 2017.
- UC Santa Cruz Group Releases Cloud Iteration of Genome Browser
Thomas UG. GenomeWeb, Jan 25, 2017
- Zika's Molecular Effects Identified by Proteomic Analysis
Bonislawski A. GenomeWeb, Jan 30, 2017.
- Gene drives thwarted by emergence of resistant organisms
Callaway E. Nature, Jan 31, 2017.
- Tuberculosis-resistant cows developed for the first time using CRISPR technology
phys.org, Jan 31, 2017.
- Phylogenomic Study Shows Utility of Ancient DNA Samples for Modern Research
GenomeWeb, Jan 26, 2017.
- Medieval Pilgrim Excavated in UK Carried Leprosy Strain That Still Circulates
GenomeWeb, Jan 26, 2017.
EVENTS / TRAINING / WEB RESOURCES
- Finding a Dangerous Fungus in Healthcare Settings
(new web page) CDC/OAMD, Jan 30, 2017.
- Africa CDC
(website launch) Africa CDC, Jan 31, 2017.
- Special issue: Genomic technologies: development and clinical application
(Manuscript solicitation) Genome Medicine, deadline Feb 19, 2017.
- BLAST+ 2.6.0 offers improved support for accession.version
(announcement) NCBI, Jan 26, 2017
CONCEPTS / COMMENTS
- Improving the selection and development of influenza vaccine viruses - Report of a WHO informal consultation on improving influenza vaccine virus selection, Hong Kong SAR, China, 18-20 November 2015.
Alan Hampson et al. Vaccine 2017 Jan
- Biospecimen Repositories and Integrated Databases as Critical Infrastructure for Pathogen Discovery and Pathobiology Research.
Dunnum Jonathan L et al. PLoS neglected tropical diseases 2017 Jan (1) e0005133
- Discovering Novel Antibiotics
Ravindran S. The Scientist, Jan 31, 2017.
METHODS / TOOLS
- High-throughput automated microfluidic sample preparation for accurate microbial genomics.
Kim Soohong et al. Nature communications 2017 Jan 13919
- Challenges and opportunities for whole-genome sequencing-based surveillance of antibiotic resistance.
Schürch Anita C et al. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 2017 Jan (1) 108-120
- Consensus statement: Virus taxonomy in the age of metagenomics.
Simmonds Peter et al. Nature reviews. Microbiology 2017 Jan
- THE REAL McCOIL: A method for the concurrent estimation of the complexity of infection and SNP allele frequency for malaria parasites.
Chang Hsiao-Han et al. PLoS computational biology 2017 Jan (1) e1005348
- Restoring the Duality between Principal Components of a Distance Matrix and Linear Combinations of Predictors, with Application to Studies of the Microbiome.
Satten Glen A et al. PloS one 2017 (1) e0168131
- In-Depth Resistome Analysis by Targeted Metagenomics
Lanza VF, et al. bioRxiv, Jan 30, 2017.
- A fast approximate algorithm for mapping long reads to large reference databases
Jain C, et al. bioRxiv, Jan 27, 2017.
EVOLUTION / ECOLOGY / POPULATIONS
- Putatively novel serotypes and the potential for reduced vaccine effectiveness: capsular locus diversity revealed among 5405 pneumococcal genomes.
van Tonder Andries J et al. Microbial genomics 2016 Oct (10) 000090
- Genome Analysis of Clostridium difficile PCR Ribotype 014 Lineage in Australian Pigs and Humans Reveals a Diverse Genetic Repertoire and Signatures of Long-Range Interspecies Transmission.
Knight Daniel R et al. Frontiers in microbiology 2016 2138
- Architecture of a Species: Phylogenomics of Staphylococcus aureus.
Planet Paul J et al. Trends in microbiology 2017 Feb (2) 153-166
- Origins of pandemic Vibrio cholerae from environmental gene pools.
Shapiro B Jesse et al. Nature microbiology 2016 Dec 16240
- A Whole Genome Sequencing Approach to Study Cefoxitin-Resistant Salmonella enterica serovar Heidelberg from Various Sources.
Edirmanasinghe Romaine et al. Antimicrobial agents and chemotherapy 2017 Jan
- Reassortment between Swine H3N2 and 2009 Pandemic H1N1 in the United States Resulted in Influenza A Viruses with Diverse Genetic Constellations with Variable Virulence in Pigs.
Rajão Daniela S et al. Journal of virology 2017 Feb (4)
- Whole-Genome Phylogenetic Analysis of Influenza B/Phuket/3073/2013-Like Viruses and Unique Reassortants Detected in Malaysia between 2012 and 2014.
Oong Xiang Yong et al. PloS one 2017 (1) e0170610
- 17(th) Century Variola Virus Reveals the Recent History of Smallpox.
Duggan Ana T et al. Current biology : CB 2016 Dec (24) 3407-3412
- Whole-genome characterisation of G12P rotavirus strains possessing two distinct genotype constellations co-circulating in Blantyre, Malawi, 2008.
Nakagomi T et al. Archives of virology 2017 Jan (1) 213-226
- Static and Evolving Norovirus Genotypes: Implications for Epidemiology and Immunity.
Parra Gabriel I et al. PLoS pathogens 2017 Jan (1) e1006136
- Hepatitis E in Singapore: A Case-Series and Viral Phylodynamics Study.
Teo Esmeralda Chi-Yuan et al. The American journal of tropical medicine and hygiene 2017 Jan
- Genetic characterization of emergent GII.17 norovirus variants from 2013 to 2015 in Nanjing, China.
Wang Xuan et al. Journal of medical microbiology 2016 Nov (11) 1274-1280
- Genetic evidence for a worldwide chaotic dispersion pattern of the arbovirus vector, Aedes albopictus.
Manni Mosè et al. PLoS neglected tropical diseases 2017 Jan (1) e0005332
PATHOGENICITY / ANTIMICROBIAL RESISTANCE
- Bacteremia and other body site infection caused by hypervirulent and classic Klebsiella pneumoniae.
Wu Hua et al. Microbial pathogenesis 2017 Jan
- Importance of whole genome sequencing for the assessment of outbreaks in diagnostic laboratories: analysis of a case series of invasive Streptococcus pyogenes infections.
Tagini F et al. European journal of clinical microbiology & infectious diseases : official publication of the European Society of Clinical Microbiology 2017 Jan
- Assessing the Genotypic Differences between Strains of Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis biovar equi through Comparative Genomics.
Baraúna Rafael A et al. PloS one 2017 (1) e0170676
- Genomic analysis of urogenital and rectal Neisseria meningitidis isolates reveals encapsulated hyperinvasive meningococci and coincident multidrug-resistant gonococci.
Harrison Odile B et al. Sexually transmitted infections 2017 Jan
- A Clostridium difficile lineage endemic to Costa Rican hospitals is multidrug-resistant by acquisition of chromosomal mutations and novel mobile genetic elements.
Ramírez-Vargas Gabriel et al. Antimicrobial agents and chemotherapy 2017 Jan
- Differential Proteome Between Patient-Related and Non-related Environmental Isolates of Legionella pneumophila.
Quero Sara et al. Current microbiology 2017 Jan
- Development of oseltamivir and zanamivir resistance in influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 virus, Denmark, 2014.
Trebbien Ramona et al. Euro surveillance : bulletin Europeen sur les maladies transmissibles = European communicable disease bulletin 2017 Jan (3)
- Continental-scale pollution of estuaries with antibiotic resistance genes.
Zhu Yong-Guan et al. Nature microbiology 2017 Jan 16270
DETECTION / DIAGNOSIS
- Rapid Sputum Multiplex Detection of the M. tuberculosis Complex (MTBC) and Resistance Mutations for Eight Antibiotics by Nucleotide MALDI-TOF MS.
Su Kang-Yi et al. Scientific reports 2017 Jan 41486
- Genetic detection of peste des petits ruminants virus under field conditions: a step forward towards disease eradication.
Ashraf Waqas et al. BMC veterinary research 2017 Jan (1) 34
- Rapid identification of clinically relevant members of the genus Exophiala by MALDI-ToF mass spectrometry and description of two novel species: Exophiala campbellii and Exophiala lavatrina.
Borman Andrew M et al. Journal of clinical microbiology 2017 Jan
- Whole Genome Amplification and Reduced-Representation Genome Sequencing of Schistosoma japonicum Miracidia.
Shortt Jonathan A et al. PLoS neglected tropical diseases 2017 Jan (1) e0005292
EPIDEMIOLOGY / OUTBREAKS / TRANSMISSION
- Improvement of infection control management by routine molecular evaluation of pathogen clusters
Mutters NT, et al. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis, Jan 26, 2017.
- A Large Community Outbreak of Legionnaires' Disease Associated With a Cooling Tower in New York City, 2015.
Weiss Don et al. Public health reports (Washington, D.C. : 1974) 2017 Jan 33354916689620
- Nosocomial transmission of carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae elucidated by single-nucleotide variation analysis: a case investigation.
Hagiya Hideharu et al. Infection 2017 Jan
- Clonal or not clonal? Investigating hospital outbreaks of KPC-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae with whole-genome sequencing.
Ruppé Etienne et al. Clinical microbiology and infection : the official publication of the European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases 2017 Jan
ANTIMICROBIALS / VACCINES / INTERVENTIONS
- Vaccination has minimal impact on the intrahost diversity of H3N2 influenza viruses.
Debbink Kari et al. PLoS pathogens 2017 Jan (1) e1006194
- Dysregulation of Systemic and Mucosal Humoral Responses to Microbial and Food Antigens as a Factor Contributing to Microbial Translocation and Chronic Inflammation in HIV-1 Infection.
Hel Zdenek et al. PLoS pathogens 2017 Jan (1) e1006087
- Molecular Mimicry between Chikungunya Virus and Host Components: A Possible Mechanism for the Arthritic Manifestations.
Reddy Vijayalakshmi et al. PLoS neglected tropical diseases 2017 Jan (1) e0005238
- Characterizing Antibody Responses to Plasmodium vivax and Plasmodium falciparum Antigens in India Using Genome-Scale Protein Microarrays.
Uplekar Swapna et al. PLoS neglected tropical diseases 2017 Jan (1) e0005323
Note: indicates that at least one CDC-affiliated author; indicates that the article addresses aspects of implementation or evaluation in clinical or public health practice.
Disclaimer: Articles listed in the Advanced Molecular Detection Clips are selected by the CDC Office of Public Health Genomics to provide current awareness of the scientific literature and news. Inclusion in the clips does not necessarily represent the views of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention nor does it imply endorsement of the article's methods or findings. CDC and DHHS assume no responsibility for the factual accuracy of the items presented. The selection, omission, or content of items does not imply any endorsement or other position taken by CDC or DHHS. Opinion, findings and conclusions expressed by the original authors of items included in the Clips, or persons quoted therein, are strictly their own and are in no way meant to represent the opinion or views of CDC or DHHS. References to publications, news sources, and non-CDC Websites are provided solely for informational purposes and do not imply endorsement by CDC or DHHS.
Public Health Genomics Knowledge Base (v1.2)
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario