Preventing Chronic Disease | The Effect of Philadelphia and Pennsylvania Clean Indoor Air Act on Food Services and Drinking Places Sales and Numbers, 1998-2011 - CDC
The Effect of Philadelphia and Pennsylvania Clean Indoor Air Act on Food Services and Drinking Places Sales and Numbers, 1998-2011
Zhen-qiang Ma, MD, MPH, MS; Monica A. Fisher, PhD, DDS, MS, MPH
Suggested citation for this article: Ma Z, Fisher MA. The Effect of Philadelphia and Pennsylvania Clean Indoor Air Act on Food Services and Drinking Places Sales and Numbers, 1998-2011. Prev Chronic Dis 2013;10:130143. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5888/pcd10.130143.
Philadelphia enacted its Clean Indoor Air Act (CIAA) nearly 2 years before the statewide CIAA. In this study, we assessed the economic impact of CIAAs on 4 types of food services and drinking places and addressed the predominant limitation of previous pre–post ban studies, namely the lack of control for confounders and changes in secular trends over time.
We analyzed data from Pennsylvania Department of Revenue Quarterly 1998–2011 taxable county-level revenue sales and number of food services and drinking places. Region-specific and type-specific adjusted sales and number of food services and drinking places accounted for consumer spending as a general economic indicator. Segmented regression analysis of interrupted time-series methodology assessed changes in trend and level.
Pennsylvania CIAA had no significant effect on adjusted sales or numbers except for an increase in sales in Philadelphia for limited-service eating places and in the surrounding 4 counties for special food services. Philadelphia CIAA was associated with an increase in adjusted numbers of full-service restaurants in Philadelphia and the rest of the state, special food services in Philadelphia, and drinking places in the rest of the state, and a decrease in the number of special food services in the surrounding counties. Philadelphia CIAA had no significant effect on adjusted sales except for an increase in special food services in the rest of the state.
Overall, CIAAs had no negative business-related impact and, for the most part, suggest a positive impact on restaurant sales and numbers. Our results provide further support for comprehensive CIAA ordinance for restaurants.
Author Affiliations: Monica A. Fisher, Pennsylvania Department of Health, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
- Pennsylvania’s Clean Indoor Air Act. http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billinfo/billinfo.cfm?sind = 0&syear = 2007&body = S&type = B&bn = 246. Accessed June 20, 2013.
- Philadelphia’s Clear Indoor Air Act. http://www.phila.gov/health/Commissioner/secondhandsmoke.html. Accessed June 20, 2013.
- Eriksen M, Chaloupka F. The economic impact of clean indoor air laws. CA Cancer J Clin 2007;57(6):367–78. CrossRefPubMed
- Glantz SA. Smoke-free restaurant ordinances do not affect restaurant business. Period. J Public Health Manag Pract 1999;5(1):vi–ix. CrossRefPubMed
- Hahn EJ. Smoke free legislation: a review of health and economic outcomes research. Am J Prev Med 2010;39(6, Suppl 1):S66–76. CrossRefPubMed
- Collins NM, Shi Q, Forster JL, Erickson DJ, Toomey TL. Effects of clean indoor air laws on bar and restaurant revenue in Minnesota cities. Am J Prev Med 2010;39(6, Suppl 1):S10–5. CrossRefPubMed
- Scollo M, Lal A, Hyland A, Glantz S. Review of the quality of studies on the economic effects of smoke-free policies on the hospitality industry. Tob Control 2003;12(1):13–20. CrossRefPubMed
- Scollo M, Lal A. Summary of studies assessing the economic impact of smoke-free policies in the hospitality industry. Melbourne, Australia, VicHealth Centre for Tobacco Control 2008. http://www.vctc.org.au/downloads/Hospitalitysummary.pdf. Accessed June 20, 2013.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Impact of a smoking ban on restaurant and bar revenues — El Paso, Texas, 2002. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2004;53(7):150–2. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5307a2.htm. Accessed June 20, 2013. PubMed
- International Agency for Research on Cancer. IARC handbooks of cancer prevention, tobacco control, vol 13: Evaluating the effectiveness of smoke-free policies. Lyon (FR): World Health Organization; 2009.
- Callinan JE, Clarke A, Doherty K, Kelleher C. Legislative smoking bans for reducing secondhand smoke exposure, smoking prevalence and tobacco consumption. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010;(4):CD005992. PubMed
- Biener L, Garrett CA, Skeer M, Siegel M, Connolly G. The effects on smokers of Boston’s smoke-free bar ordinance: a longitudinal analysis of changes in compliance, patronage, policy support, and smoking at home. J Public Health Manag Pract 2007;13(6):630–6. CrossRefPubMed
- Gallus S, Zuccaro P, Colombo P, Apolone G, Pacifici R, Garattini S, et al. Smoking in Italy 2005–2006: effects of a comprehensive national tobacco regulation. Prev Med 2007;45(2-3):198–201. CrossRefPubMed
- Hyland A, Hassan LM, Higbee C, Boudreau C, Fong GT, Borland R, et al. The impact of smokefree legislation in Scotland: results from the Scottish ITC Scotland/UK longitudinal surveys. Eur J Public Health 2009;19(2):198–205. CrossRefPubMed
- Waa A, McGough S. Reducing exposure to second hand smoke: changes associated with the implementation of the amended New Zealand Smoke-free Environments Act 1990: 2003–2006. http://archive.hsc.org.nz/sites/default/files/publications/SFEWorkplace_Final.pdf. Accessed June 20, 2013. Wellington (AU): HSC Research and Evaluation Unit, 2006.
- Glantz SA, Smith LR. The effect of ordinances requiring smoke-free restaurants and bars on revenues: a follow-up. The effect of ordinances requiring smoke-free restaurants and bars on revenues: a follow-up. Am J Public Health 1997;87(10):1687–93.
- Wagner AK, Soumerai SB, Zhang F, Ross-Degnan D. Segmented regression analysis of interrupted time series studies in medication use research. J Clin Pharm Ther 2002;27(4):299–309. CrossRefPubMed
- The AUTOREG procedure. In: SAS/ETS 9.2 user’s guide. Cary (NC): SAS Institute Inc; 2008. p. 313-427. http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/etsug/60372/PDF/default/etsug.pdf. Accessed June 20, 2013.
- Wakefield M, Siahpush M, Scollo M, Lal A, Hyland A, McCaul K, et al. The effect of a smoke‐free law on restaurant business in South Australia. Aust N Z J Public Health 2002;26(4):375–82. CrossRefPubMed
- Luk R, Ferrence R, Gmel G. The economic impact of a smoke-free bylaw on restaurant and bar sales in Ottawa, Canada. Addiction 2006;101(5):738–45. CrossRefPubMed
- Stolzenberg L, D’Alessio SJ. Is nonsmoking dangerous to the health of restaurants? The effect of California’s indoor smoking ban on restaurant revenues. Eval Rev 2007;31(1):75–92. CrossRefPubMed
- Klein EG, Forster JL, Erickson DJ, Lytle LA, Schillo B. Economic effects of clean indoor air policies on bar and restaurant employment in Minneapolis and St Paul, Minnesota. J Public Health Manag Pract 2010;16(4):285–93. CrossRefPubMed
- Klein EG, Forster JL, Collins NM, Erickson DJ, Toomey TL. Employment change for bars and restaurants following a statewide clean indoor air policy. Am J Prev Med 2010;39(6, Suppl 1):S16–22. CrossRefPubMed
- Bowerman BL, O’Connell RT, Koehler A. Forecasting, time series, and regression. 4th edition. Belmont (CA): Duxbury; 2005. p. 97.
- Kayani N, Cowan SR, Homan SG, Wilson J, Warren VF, Yun S. Economic effect of smoke-free ordinances on 11 Missouri cities. [Erratum appears in Prev Chronic Dis 2012;9:E106. http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2012/11_0277e.htm.] Prev Chronic Dis 2012;9:110277. Accessed June 20, 2013.
- Pyles MK, Hahn EJ. Economic effects of Ohio’s smoke-free law on Kentucky and Ohio border counties. Tob Control 2011;20(1):73–6. CrossRefPubMed
- Young WF, Szychowski J, Karp S, Lui L, Diedrich RT. Economic impacts of the Pueblo Smoke-Free Air Act. Am J Prev Med 2010;38(3):340–3. CrossRefPubMed
- Pennsylvania Department of Health. Pennsylvania Clean Indoor Air Act. 2011 Annual report to the legislature. http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_140235_14187_981294_43/http%3B/pubcontent.state.pa.us/publishedcontent/publish/cop_hhs/health/content/internet/healthy_schools_businesses___ communities/businesses/clean_indoor_air/bhprr/clean_indoor_air_act_annual_reports/2011_ciaa_annual_report.pdf. Accessed June 20, 2013.