Preventing Chronic Disease | Methods for Translating Evidence-Based Behavioral Interventions for Health-Disparity Communities - CDC
Methods for Translating Evidence-Based Behavioral Interventions for Health-Disparity Communities
Anna Maria Nápoles, PhD, MPH; Jasmine Santoyo-Olsson, MS; Anita L. Stewart, PhD
Suggested citation for this article: Nápoles AM, Santoyo-Olsson J, Stewart AL. Methods for Translating Evidence-Based Behavioral Interventions for Health-Disparity Communities. Prev Chronic Dis 2013;10:130133. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5888/pcd10.130133.
Author InformationCorresponding Author: Anna Maria Nápoles, PhD, MPH, Center for Aging in Diverse Communities, Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, 3333 California St, Ste 335, San Francisco, CA 94118-1944. Telephone: 415-476-6290. E-mail: email@example.com.
Author Affiliations: Jasmine Santoyo-Olsson, Anita L. Stewart, University of California, San Francisco, California.
- National Institutes of Health. NIH health disparities strategic plan and budget fiscal years 2009–2013. Washington (DC): US Department of Health and Human Services; 2009. http://www.nimhd.nih.gov/about_ncmhd/NIH%20Health%20Disparities%20Strategic%20Plan%20and%20Budget%202009-2013.pdf. Accessed August 18, 2013.
- Brownson RC, Jones E. Bridging the gap: translating research into policy and practice. Prev Med 2009;49(4):313–5. CrossRef PubMed
- Tabak RG, Khoong EC, Chambers DA, Brownson RC. Bridging research and practice: models for dissemination and implementation research. Am J Prev Med 2012;43(3):337–50. CrossRef PubMed
- Burgio LD, Collins IB, Schmid B, Wharton T, McCallum D, Decoster J. Translating the REACH caregiver intervention for use by Area Agency on Aging personnel: the REACH OUT program. Gerontologist 2009;49(1):103–16. CrossRef PubMed
- Teri L, McKenzie G, Logsdon RG, McCurry SM, Bollin S, Mead J, et al. Translation of two evidence-based programs for training families to improve care of persons with dementia. Gerontologist 2012;52(4):452–9. CrossRef PubMed
- US Department of Health and Human Services. HHS action plan to reduce racial and ethnic disparities: a nation free of disparities in health and health care. Washington (DC): US Department of Health and Human Services; 2011. http://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/npa/files/Plans/HHS/HHS_Plan_complete.pdf. Accessed August 18, 2013.
- Krahn GL, Putnam M, Drum CE, Powers L. Disabilities and health: toward a national agenda for research. J Disabil Policy Stud 2006;17(1):18–27. CrossRef
- Reichard A, Stolzle H, Fox MH. Health disparities among adults with physical disabilities or cognitive limitations compared to individuals with no disabilities in the United States. Disabil Health J 2011;4(2):59–67. CrossRef PubMed
- Trickett EJ, Beehler S, Deutsch C, Green LW, Hawe P, McLeroy K, et al. Advancing the science of community-level interventions. Am J Public Health 2011;101(8):1410–9. CrossRef PubMed
- Glasgow RE, Vogt TM, Boles SM. Evaluating the public health impact of health promotion interventions: the RE-AIM framework. Am J Public Health 1999;89(9):1322–7. CrossRef PubMed
- Wandersman A, Duffy J, Flaspohler P, Noonan R, Lubell K, Stillman L, et al. Bridging the gap between prevention research and practice: the Interactive Systems Framework for dissemination and implementation. Am J Community Psychol 2008;41(3-4):171–81. CrossRef PubMed
- Wainberg ML, McKinnon K, Mattos PE, Pinto D, Mann CG, de Oliveira CS, et al. A model for adapting evidence-based behavioral interventions to a new culture: HIV prevention for psychiatric patients in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. AIDS Behav 2007;11(6):872–83. CrossRef PubMed
- Nápoles-Springer AM, Ortiz C, O’Brien H, Diaz-Mendez M. Developing a culturally competent peer support intervention for Spanish-speaking Latinas with breast cancer. J Immigr Minor Health 2009;11(4):268–80. CrossRef PubMed
- National Cancer Institute. Research-tested intervention programs (RTIPS). Bethesda (MD): Cancer Control P.L.A.N.E.T.; 2012. http://rtips.cancer.gov/rtips/index.do. Accessed August 18, 2013.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. National registry of evidence-based programs and practices. Rockville (MD): Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration; 2012. http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov. Accessed August 18, 2013.
- Hawe P, Shiell A, Riley T. Complex interventions: how “out of control” can a randomised controlled trial be? BMJ 2004;328(7455):1561–3. CrossRef PubMed
- Hammel J, Southall K, Jutai J, Finlayson M, Kashindi G, Fok D. Evaluating use and outcomes of mobility technology: a multiple stakeholder analysis. Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol 2013;8(4):294–304. CrossRef PubMed
- Wainberg ML, Alfredo Gonzalez M, McKinnon K, Elkington KS, Pinto D, Gruber Mann C, et al. Targeted ethnography as a critical step to inform cultural adaptations of HIV prevention interventions for adults with severe mental illness. Soc Sci Med 2007;65(2):296–308. CrossRef PubMed
- Stewart AL, Grossman M, Bera N, Gillis DE, Sperber N, Castrillo M, et al. Multilevel perspectives on diffusing a physical activity promotion program to reach diverse older adults. J Aging Phys Act 2006;14(3):270–87. PubMed
- Saul J, Duffy J, Noonan R, Lubell K, Wandersman A, Flaspohler P, et al. Bridging science and practice in violence prevention: addressing ten key challenges. Am J Community Psychol 2008;41(3-4):197–205. CrossRef PubMed
- Williams AS, Moore SM. Universal design of research: inclusion of persons with disabilities in mainstream biomedical studies. Sci Transl Med 2011;3(82):82cm12. CrossRef PubMed
- Barrera MJ, Castro FG. A heuristic framework for the cultural adaptation of interventions. Clin Psychol Sci Pract 2006;13(4):311–6. CrossRef
- National Institutes of Health. National Cancer Institute. Clear and simple: developing effective materials for low-literate readers. Washington (DC): US Government Printing Office; 1994, p. 1–61.
- Lefebvre RC, Rochlin L. Social marketing. In: Glanz K, Lewis FM, Rimer BK, editors. Health behavior and health education. 2nd edition. San Francisco (CA): Jossey-Bass, Inc; 1997.
- Anderson S, Whitfield K. An ecological approach to activity after stroke: it takes a community. Top Stroke Rehabil 2011;18(5):509–24. CrossRef PubMed
- Stewart AL, Gillis D, Grossman M, Castrillo M, Pruitt L, McLellan B, et al. Diffusing a research-based physical activity promotion program for seniors into diverse communities: CHAMPS III. Prev Chronic Dis 2006;3(2):A51. PubMed
- Armstrong R, Waters E, Moore L, Riggs E, Cuervo LG, Lumbiganon P, et al. Improving the reporting of public health intervention research: advancing TREND and CONSORT. J Public Health (Oxf) 2008;30(1):103–9. CrossRef PubMed
- Trickett EJ. Community-based participatory research as worldview or instrumental strategy: is it lost in translation(al) research? Am J Public Health 2011;101(8):1353–5. CrossRef PubMed
- Lorig KR, Ritter PL, Jacquez A. Outcomes of border health Spanish/English chronic disease self-management programs. Diabetes Educ 2005;31(3):401–9. CrossRef PubMed
- Allicock M, Campbell MK, Valle CG, Carr C, Resnicow K, Gizlice Z. Evaluating the dissemination of Body & Soul, an evidence-based fruit and vegetable intake intervention: challenges for dissemination and implementation research. J Nutr Educ Behav 2012;44(6):530–8. CrossRef PubMed
- Mercer SL, DeVinney BJ, Fine LJ, Green LW, Dougherty D. Study designs for effectiveness and translation research: identifying trade-offs. Am J Prev Med 2007;33(2):139–54. CrossRef PubMed
- Linnan L, Steckler A. Process evaluation for public health interventions and research: an overview. In: Steckler A, Linnan L, editors. Process evaluation for public health interventions and research. San Francisco (CA): Jossey-Bass; 2002. p. 1–25.
- Jacobs JA, Jones E, Gabella BA, Spring B, Brownson RC. Tools for implementing an evidence-based approach in public health practice. Prev Chronic Dis 2012;9:E116. PubMed
- Layde PM, Christiansen AL, Peterson DJ, Guse CE, Maurana CA, Brandenburg T. A model to translate evidence-based interventions into community practice. Am J Public Health 2012;102(4):617–24. CrossRef PubMed
- Rabin BA, Brownson RC, Haire-Joshu D, Kreuter MW, Weaver NL. A glossary for dissemination and implementation research in health. J Public Health Manag Pract 2008;14(2):117–23. CrossRef PubMed
- Griner D, Smith TB. Culturally adapted mental health intervention: a meta-analytic review. Psychotherapy (Chic) 2006;43(4):531–48. CrossRef PubMed
- Wallerstein N, Duran B. Community-based participatory research contributions to intervention research: the intersection of science and practice to improve health equity. Am J Public Health 2010;100(Suppl 1):S40–6. CrossRef PubMed
- West SG, Duan N, Pequegnat W, Gaist P, Des Jarlais DC, Holtgrave D, et al. Alternatives to the randomized controlled trial. Am J Public Health 2008;98(8):1359–66. CrossRef PubMed
- Saul J, Wandersman A, Flaspohler P, Duffy J, Lubell K, Noonan R. Research and action for bridging science and practice in prevention. Am J Community Psychol 2008;41(3-4):165–70. CrossRef PubMed
- Mendel P, Meredith LS, Schoenbaum M, Sherbourne CD, Wells KB. Interventions in organizational and community context: a framework for building evidence on dissemination and implementation in health services research. Adm Policy Ment Health 2008;35(1-2):21–37. CrossRef PubMed