Laboratory InformaticsCDC collaborates with internal and external partners to improve timeliness and accuracy of laboratory test result reporting for reportable conditions at the state and federal level.
Key functions and Activities
- Support meaningful use, allowing primary care providers to improve the quality of care for all patients;
- Support the Public Health Laboratory Interoperability Project (PHLIP) so that public health laboratories can electronically share data in a secure and standard manner;
- Provide leadership for the Public Health Laboratory Interoperability Solutions and Systems Architecture Project (PHLISSA) so the CDC can participate with its public health laboratory partners in sharing electronic data;
- Support the Laboratory Efficiencies Initiative (LEI) so that states can utilize informatics solutions to gain efficiencies in day to day operations;
- Develop specimen collection inventory management tools to enable the CDC to accurately manage stored specimens;
- Assist the Laboratory Response Network (LRN) with sharing results generated within the LRN and BioWatch programs in a secure and standardized manner;
- Provide leadership for the development of a CDC Enterprise Architecture Laboratory Segment to provide a structure for future laboratory systems projects that will allow for an integrated approach to laboratory informatics within the CDC.