On behalf of the Fogarty International Center at the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), the following funding opportunities, notices and announcements may be of interest to those working in the field of global health research. Updates are typically distributed once a week.
NIH funding opportunities for which foreign organizations, foreign components of U.S. organizations and/or other foreign components may apply.
- Ethical, Legal and Policy Issues in HIV Research with Key Populations (R01) (PAR-15-328) and (R21) (PAR-15-327)
Application Receipt/Submission Date(s): January 7, 2016; September 7, 2016; and more
- Oral HIVacc: Oral Mucosal Immunization Approaches for HIV Prevention(R01) (RFA-DE-16-006)
Application Receipt Date(s): November 24, 2015 and November 23, 2016
- Integrated Preclinical/Clinical AIDS Vaccine Development Program (IPCAVD)(U19) (PAR-15-330)
Application Receipt/Submission Date(s): March 9, 2016; March 9, 2017; March 9, 2018
- Chemistry, Toxicology, and Addiction Research on Waterpipe Tobacco (R01) (RFA-OD-15-005)
Application Receipt Date(s): November 20, 2015
- Exploratory Multi-site Palliative Care Research in Diverse Populations Utilizing the Palliative Care Research Cooperative (PCRC) Group (R21) (PAR-15-337)
Application Receipt/Submission Date(s): November 30, 2015
- Informatics Technologies for Cancer Research and Management:
Advanced Development (U24) (PAR-15-331)
Early-Stage Development (U01) (PAR-15-332)
Sustained Support for (U24) (PAR-15-333)
Development of Innovative Informatics Methods and Algorithms (R21) (PAR-15-334)
Application Receipt/Submission Date(s): November 20, 2015; and more.
- NIDA Translational Avant-Garde Award for Development of Medication to Treat Substance Use Disorders (UG3/UH3) (RFA-DA-16-008)
Application Receipt Date(s): December 03, 2015
- NEI Audacious Goal Initiative: Discovery-based Science to Identify factors Influencing Neural Regeneration in the Visual System (U01) (RFA-EY-15-002)
Application Receipt Date(s): January 15, 2016
- Short-term Measurements of Improved Physical and Molecular Resilience in Pre-clinical Models (R01) (RFA-AG-16-006)
Application Receipt Date(s): November 04, 2015
- NIDDK Cooperative Hematology Specialized Core Centers (U54) (RFA-DK-15-021)
Application Receipt Date(s): November 12, 2015
- Centers of Research Translation (P50) (RFA-AR-16-001) focusing on disease entities or disorders in the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS) mission.
Application Receipt Date(s): December 11, 2015
- Limited Competition: Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative, ADNI (U19) (RFA-AG-16-019)
Application Receipt Date(s): October 27, 2015
- Novel Nucleic Acid Sequencing Technology Development (R21) (RFA-HG-15-031), (R01) (RFA-HG-15-032) and (R43/R44) (RFA-HG-15-033)
Application Receipt Date(s): October 27, 2015; July 14, 2016; June 15, 2017
NIH funding opportunities for which United States small business concerns (SBCs) may collaborate with a foreign business entity.
- Tools for Assessment and Improvement of Neurologic Outcomes (R41/R42) (RFA-HD-16-006) and (R43/R44) (RFA-HD-16-007)
Application Receipt Date(s): December 10, 2015
- Imaging Diagnostics of Dental Diseases and Conditions (Caries, Periodontal Disease, Cracked Teeth, and Pulp Vitality) (R43/R44) (PA-15-335) and(R41/R42) (PA-15-336)
Application Receipt/Submission Date(s): Multiple dates, see announcement.
Information related to opportunities from other organizations focusing on global health and foreign collaboration.
- From the Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases (TDR):
- TDR Postgraduate Training Support - TDR supports 7 universities from low- and middle-income countries to provide PhD and Masters degrees focused on implementation research in malaria, TB and neglected tropical diseases to improve health in those regions.
Application deadlines vary.
- Research on the etiological causes of serious infections in young African infants
Deadline for submission: September 16 2015
- Scoping reviews and research gap analysis on urban health interventions
Deadline for submission: September 24 2015
- Joint TDR/EURO Small Grants Scheme for Implementation Research in Infectious Diseases
Note: Only applicants from countries from the WHO European Region listed in the call are eligible.
Deadline for submission: September 30 2015
- Africa Centers of Excellence (ACEs) for Eastern and Southern Africa
from the World Bank Group and Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA)
Application deadline: October 2, 2015
- New online course from Johns Hopkins Center for Clinical Global Health Education:
Confronting Gender Based Violence: Global Lessons with Case Studies from India
Offered through Coursera, with sessions September through October.
More Coursera courses related to global health research.
NIH funding news that may be relevant to global health researchers.
- NIH HIV/AIDS Research Priorities and Guidelines for Determining AIDS Funding (NOT-OD-15-137)
- Reminder of Legal Requirements Regarding the Acquisition and Use of Human Fetal Tissue for Research Purposes (NOT-OD-15-143)
- NIH Offers Assistance to Phase II HHS SBIR and STTR Awardees through the NIH Commercialization Accelerator Program (CAP) (NOT-OD-15-144)
- FDA Requires Mandatory Use of the Federal Financial Report (FFR) System in the eRA Commons beginning November 1, 2015 (NOT-FD-15-001)
- Change in Budget Limit Change for AHRQ General Research (R01) and Research Demonstration (R18) Grant Applications (NOT-HS-15-013)
- Notice of Intent to Publish a Funding Opportunity Announcement for NCI Exploratory/Developmental Research Grant Program (NCI Omnibus R21) (NOT-CA-15-023)
- Request for Information: Input on the Development of the Federal Pain Research Strategy (NOT-NS-16-038)
- NICHD Launches New Data Sharing Resource to Accelerate Scientific Findings, Improve Health (NOT-HD-15-028)
- Request for Information (RFI): Community Update on the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institutes Strategic Visioning Process (NOT-HL-15-269)
- Notice of Participation of the Office of Research on Women's Health (ORWH) in RFA-CA-15-017 "Big Data to Knowledge (BD2K) Development of Software Tools and Methods for Biomedical Big Data in Targeted Areas of High Need (U01)" (NOT-OD-15-133)
- Notice of Correction in FOAs Description for Screening and Brief Alcohol Interventions in Underage and Young Adult Populations PA-15-295 (R01) (NOT-AA-15-013), PA-15-296 (R03) (NOT-AA-15-014) and PA-15-297 (R21) (NOT-AA-15-015).
- Notice of Change to Eligible Individuals for PAR-15-03 "Exploratory Grant Award to Promote Workforce Diversity in Basic Cancer Research (R21)" (NOT-CA-15-027)
- Correction of Due Dates for Letters of Intent for Research on Adducts in Cancer Risk Identification and Prevention:
Translational Research PAR-15-307 (U01) (NOT-CA-15-029)
Innovative Basic Research PAR-15-308 (R01) (NOT-CA-15-030) and PAR-15-309 (R21) (NOT-CA-15-031)
- Notice of Expiration of Brain Somatic Mosaicism and its Role in Psychiatric Disorders PAR-15-022 (Collaborative U01)" (NOT-MH-15-026) and PAR-14-173 (U01) (NOT-MH-15-027)
- Fulbright-Fogarty Fellows and Scholars in Public HealthFellowships application deadline: October 13, 2015
- Ecology and Evolution of Infectious Diseases (EEID)
Application deadline: November 18, 2015
- New: Emerging Global Leader Award for LMIC scientists
Application deadline: December 16, 2015
- Global Brain Disorders Research R21 and R01
Application deadline: January 5, 2016
- International Research Scientist Development Award (IRSDA) for U.S. scientists
Application deadline: March 2, 2016