Improving Patient Safety in Ambulatory Surgery Centers: A Resource List for Users of the AHRQ Ambulatory Surgery Center Survey on Patient Safety Culture [PDF Version – 405 KB]
This document contains references to Web sites that provide practical resources ambulatory surgery centers (ASCs) can use to implement changes to improve patient safety culture and patient safety.
Data Entry and Analysis Tool
This tool works with Microsoft® Excel® and makes it easy to input your individual-level data from the survey. The tool then automatically creates tables and graphs to display your survey results.
To request the tool, send an email to:
Ambulatory Surgery Center Survey on Patient Safety Culture
ASCs are facilities: (1) where patients have surgeries, procedures, and treatments and are not expected to need an inpatient stay, and (2) that have been certified and approved to participate in the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services' ASC program.
Ambulatory Surgery Center Toolkit
- Ambulatory Surgery Center Survey—English (PDF Version [ - 89 KB]; Word Version [ - 57 KB]).
- Ambulatory Surgery Center Survey—Spanish (PDF Version [ - 89 KB]; Word Version [ - 57 KB]).
Survey Composites and Items
- Ambulatory Surgery Center Survey Composites and Items—English (PDF Version [ - 102 KB]]).
- Ambulatory Surgery Center Survey Composites and Items—Spanish Version and Description of Translation Process (PDF Version [ - 164 KB]).
Survey User's Guide
The User's Guide provides a general overview of the issues and major decisions involved in conducting a survey and reporting the results. The User's Guide includes information on getting started, selecting a sample, determining data collection methods, establishing data collection procedures, conducting a Web-based survey, preparing and analyzing data, and producing reports.
- Ambulatory Surgery Center Survey on Patient Safety: User's Guide (PDF Version [ - 644 KB]).
2014 Ambulatory Surgery Center Pilot Study Results
- Results from the 2014 Ambulatory Surgery Center Pilot Study (PDF Version [ - 1.874 MB] ).—Pilot study results are provided for the items and safety culture composites on the AHRQ Ambulatory Surgery Center Survey on Patient Safety Culture from 59 ambulatory surgery centers that participated in a pilot test of the survey in the United States in 2014.
Action Planning Tool (PDF File, 368.7 KB; Word File, 111.77 KB)
This tool was designed primarily for users of the AHRQ Surveys on Patient Safety Culture and is intended for use after your organization administers the survey and analyzes the results. It provides step-by-step guidance to help survey users develop an action plan to improve patient safety culture.
The purpose of this research reference list is to provide citations for articles published on the AHRQ safety culture surveys. It includes references on the use of the surveys; psychometric analyses; analyses linking the survey to outcome data; reviews of instruments; and international studies.
This free Webcast from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) discussed the development of the new AHRQ Ambulatory Surgery Center Survey on Patient Safety Culture, presented results from the pilot test, and introduced the available toolkit materials. In addition, survey users shared their experiences using the survey and plans to improve their patient safety culture.
Page last reviewed November 2016
Page originally created April 2015
Page originally created April 2015