martes, 19 de mayo de 2015

Celebrating 50 Years of Head Start

Dept. of Health & Human Services
May 18, 2015
By: Sylvia Mathews Burwell, HHS Secretary
Fifty years ago today, Head Start was launched across the nation. At the announcement in the White House Rose Garden, President Johnson called it “one of the most constructive, and one of the most sensible, and also one of the most exciting programs that this Nation has ever undertaken.”
A few years later, a class was established in my home town of Hinton, West Virginia.
In a rural town like Hinton, Head Start was one of the only early educational opportunities available. It meant a lot to the families there and still does today. I know, because it meant a lot to my family.
That’s right; I’m a Head Start kid.
In that little classroom, I hatched chickens, listened to stories, and made lifelong friends. Thanks to Head Start, and an excellent teacher, Mrs. Rita Pack, I learned to love learning, and that passion has stayed with me my entire life.
I did get a head start, and that’s a foundation all children should have.
Head Start was founded on the principles that education is the door to opportunity, and that everyone, no matter their background, deserves a shot at a productive life.
Since it was founded in the summer of 1965, Head Start, along with Early Head Start, has served more than 32 million children. This year alone, those programs will help more than 1 million children prepare for school and build a foundation for a healthier, happier life.  
READ MORE: Celebrating 50 Years of Head Start
Share on Facebook

No hay comentarios: