HCUP 2012 National Inpatient Sample is Redesigned and Now Available
AHRQ’s Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) National Inpatient Sample (NIS) featuring 2012 data is now available. The 2012 NIS was redesigned to improve national estimates. The new design is a 20 percent sample of hospital stays, yielding 7 million discharges from the 4,300 hospitals in HCUP. Prior to 2012, the NIS was a sample of hospitals and included 100 percent of discharges from those hospitals. This and other changes to the NIS design result in more precise national estimates with reductions in sampling error and better data confidentiality. To signify this change in design, AHRQ renamed the “Nationwide Inpatient Sample” the “National Inpatient Sample.” The NIS is used to identify, track and analyze national trends in health care utilization, access, charges, quality and outcomes. As the largest all-payer inpatient visit database in the United States, the NIS enables analyses of infrequent conditions, uncommon treatments and special patient populations, including the uninsured. The 2012 NIS can be purchased through the HCUP Central Distributor, and select statistics are on the free, online query system HCUPnet. Additional information is on the NIS Overview Page.
|Familiar with HCUP? Participate in a 1-hour usability interview about HCUPnet and receive possible compensation, if selected. (7/15/14)|
|Now Available: The 2012 NIS (7/1/14)|
|Save the date: HCUP's Fall Workshop on September 24 (6/27/14)|
|Announcing HCUP's Outstanding Article of the Year Award Recipients (6/2/14)|
|The Summer 2014 quarterly HCUP eNewshas been released (6/5/14)|
|New Studies added to the Research Spotlights (6/9/14)|
|HCUP Statistical Brief #174 and #175(7/1/14)|
What is HCUP?
The Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) includes the largest collection of longitudinal hospital care data in the United States.
- Overview of HCUP
- On-line HCUP Overview Course is an interactive course that provides information about HCUP data, software tools, and products
- Frequently Asked Questions
Learn about HCUP products including State and nationwide databases, software and online tools, and reports.
- HCUP Databases contain information on inpatient stays, emergency department visits, and ambulatory care
- HCUPnet is HCUP's free, online query system that provides immediate access to health statistics
- HCUP Tools & Software provide complimentary tools and software to use with HCUP and similar databases
- HCUP Reports feature findings, publications, and technical reports on HCUP issues
Utilize HCUP services to purchase HCUP data, get answers to your HCUP-related questions, and learn how to use the HCUP databases.
- Purchase HCUP data through the HCUP Central Distributor
- HCUP Technical Assistance answers questions and provides support to HCUP users
- HCUP On-line Tutorial Series provides free tutorials on HCUP data and tools, including training on technical methods for conducting research with HCUP data
- HCUP Data Use Agreement Training Tool is a required tutorial for all purchasers and users of HCUP data that defines how the data can be used