Publication Date: Nov 9, 2017
About Advanced Molecular Detection Clips
Clips are selected weekly from a variety of sources, including PubMed, journal tables of contents, and online media. Special emphasis is given to the use of next-generation genetic sequencing in infectious disease public health surveillance, investigation, and development of new diagnostics and interventions. The collection is not comprehensive but aims to capture highlights, while surveying a wide range of topics. CDC-authored articles are flagged. Items marked I&E address aspects of implementation or evaluation in clinical or public health practice. View Data Selection Criteria
Advanced Molecular Detection Clips Content
- FDA edges gingerly toward regulating tens of thousands of medical tests
Keshavan M. STAT, Nov 2, 2017.
- NIH awards to test ways to store, access, share, and compute on biomedical data in the cloud
NIH, Nov 6. 2017.
- Beijing Team Develops Prototype for High-Accuracy Fluorogenic Sequencing
Heger M. GenomeWeb, Nov 6, 2017.
- Australian National Measurement Institute Creates New Digital PCR Reference Material
Johnson M. GenomeWeb, Nov 3, 2017.
- Rutgers Developing PCR Assays to Detect Superbug in Hospitals
O'Connor L. 360dx, Nov 2, 2017.
- Reports say highly virulent Klebsiella strains emerged 4 years ago
Dall C. CIDRAP, Nov 2, 2017.
- Scientists solve a dengue mystery: Why second infection is worse than first
Branswell H. STAT, Nov 2, 2017.
- Malaria breath test shows promise in clinical trial
Healio, Nov 6, 2017.
- US government approves 'killer' mosquitoes to fight disease
Waltz E. Nature, Nov 6, 2017.
- App Might Improve River Blindness Treatment
Smith M. MedPage Today, Nov 8, 2017.
- Unlocking the Secrets of the Microbiome
Brody JE. New York Times, Nov 6, 2017.
- Gut Microbes May Contribute to Immunotherapy Response
GenomeWeb, Nov 2, 2017.
- More Twists than a Double Helix: Jim Ostell's Surprising Path, Part 1
NLM in Focus, Nov 8, 2017.
EVENTS / TRAINING / WEB RESOURCES
- Updated Guidance on Data Deposit and Linking in PMC
(request for comment) NLM, Nov 6, 2017.
CONCEPTS / COMMENTS
- Surveillance for control of antimicrobial resistance.
Tacconelli Evelina et al. The Lancet. Infectious diseases 2017 Oct
- Build the Ebola database in Africa
Conton B. Nature, Nov 7, 2017.
- The Promise, Growth, and Reality of Mobile Health - Another Data-free Zone
Roess A. New Engl J Med, Nov 8, 2017.
METHODS / TOOLS
- Highly accurate fluorogenic DNA sequencing with information theory-based error correction.
Chen Zitian et al. Nature biotechnology 2017 Nov
- A comparison of bioinformatic approaches for 16S rRNA gene profiling of food bacterial microbiota.
De Filippis Francesca et al. International journal of food microbiology 2017 Oct 9-17
- Quantifying connectivity between local Plasmodium falciparum malaria parasite populations using identity by descent.
Taylor Aimee R et al. PLoS genetics 2017 Oct (10) e1007065
- Prospective cohort study to investigate the burden and transmission of acute gastroenteritis in care homes: a study protocol.
Inns Thomas et al. BMJ open 2017 Nov (11) e018867
- Monitoring Phage Biopanning by Next-Generation Sequencing.
Vaisman-Mentesh Anna et al. Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.) 2018 463-473
EVOLUTION / ECOLOGY / POPULATIONS
- Genome sequence analysis of emm89 Streptococcus pyogenes strains causing infections in Scotland, 2010-2016.
Beres Stephen B et al. Journal of medical microbiology 2017 Nov
- Long-term colonisation by Campylobacter jejuni within a human host: evolution, antimicrobial resistance and adaptation.
Bloomfield Samuel J et al. The Journal of infectious diseases 2017 Nov
- Evidence for Human Streptococcus pneumoniae in wild and captive chimpanzees: A potential threat to wild populations.
Köndgen Sophie et al. Scientific reports 2017 Nov (1) 14581
- Twelve Complete Reference Genomes of Clinical Isolates in the Capnocytophaga Genus.
Villarma Aaron et al. Genome announcements 2017 Nov (44)
- Molecular characterization and phylogenetic relatedness of dog-derived Rabies Viruses circulating in Cameroon between 2010 and 2016.
Sadeuh-Mba Serge Alain et al. PLoS neglected tropical diseases 2017 Oct (10) e0006041
- Bats host diverse parvoviruses as possible origin of mammalian dependoparvoviruses and source for bat-swine interspecies transmission.
Lau Susanna K P et al. The Journal of general virology 2017 Nov
- Genotypic and Epidemiological Trends of Acute Gastroenteritis Associated with Noroviruses in China from 2006 to 2016.
Qin Shu-Wen et al. International journal of environmental research and public health 2017 Nov (11)
- Diversity of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronaviruses in 109 dromedary camels based on full-genome sequencing, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
Yusof Mohammed Farouk et al. Emerging microbes & infections 2017 Nov (11) e101
- Genomics and molecular epidemiology of Cryptosporidium species.
Khan Asis et al. Acta tropica 2017 Oct
PATHOGENICITY / ANTIMICROBIAL RESISTANCE
- Genomic Comparison among Lethal Invasive Strains of Streptococcus pyogenes Serotype M1.
Fernandes Gabriel R et al. Frontiers in microbiology 2017 1993
- Prevalence and molecular characterization of pyrazinamide resistance among multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from Southern China.
Pang Yu et al. BMC infectious diseases 2017 Nov (1) 711
- Biological and phylogenetic characteristics of West African lineages of West Nile virus.
Fall Gamou et al. PLoS neglected tropical diseases 2017 Nov (11) e0006078
- High Plasmodium infection rate and reduced bednets efficacy in multiple insecticide resistant malaria vectors in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo.
Riveron Jacob M et al. The Journal of infectious diseases 2017 Oct
- Molecular markers for artemisinin and partner drug resistance in natural Plasmodium falciparum populations following increased insecticide treated net coverage along the slope of mount Cameroon: cross-sectional study.
Apinjoh Tobias O et al. Infectious diseases of poverty 2017 Nov (1) 136
DETECTION / DIAGNOSIS
- High Throughput Sequencing for Detection of Foodborne Pathogens.
Sekse Camilla et al. Frontiers in microbiology 2017 2029
- Identification and Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing of Anaerobic Bacteria: Rubik's Cube of Clinical Microbiology?
Gajdács Márió et al. Antibiotics (Basel, Switzerland) 2017 Nov (4)
- Practical Issues in Implementing Whole-Genome-Sequencing in Routine Diagnostic Microbiology.
Rossen John W A et al. Clinical microbiology and infection : the official publication of the European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases 2017 Nov
- Livestock-associated meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) among human MRSA isolates, European Union/European Economic Area countries, 2013.
Kinross Pete et al. Euro surveillance : bulletin Europeen sur les maladies transmissibles = European communicable disease bulletin 2017 Nov (44)
- The Evolution of Strain Typing in the Mycobacterium tuberculosis Complex.
Merker Matthias et al. Advances in experimental medicine and biology 2017 43-78
- Improvement in clinical outcome and infection control using molecular diagnostic techniques for early detection of MDR tuberculous spondylitis: a multicenter retrospective study.
Wu Wenjie et al. Emerging microbes & infections 2017 Nov (11) e97
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis and whole-genome sequencing: how close are we to unleash its full potential?
Satta G et al. Clinical microbiology and infection : the official publication of the European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases 2017 Nov
- A comparison of two molecular methods for diagnosing leptospirosis from three different sample types in patients presenting with fever in Laos.
Woods Kate et al. Clinical microbiology and infection : the official publication of the European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases 2017 Oct
- A recombinase polymerase amplification assay for rapid detection of Crimean-Congo Haemorrhagic fever Virus infection.
Bonney Laura C et al. PLoS neglected tropical diseases 2017 Oct (10) e0006013
- Large protein as a potential target for use in rabies diagnostics.
Santos Katz I S et al. Acta virologica (3) 280-288
- Prevalence and genotype distribution of human papillomavirus in 961,029 screening tests in southeastern China (Zhejiang Province) between 2011 and 2015.
Chen Xiao et al. Scientific reports 2017 Nov (1) 14813
- Metagenomics for the study of viruses in urban sewage as a tool for public health surveillance.
Fernandez-Cassi X et al. The Science of the total environment 2017 Nov
- Continuous-flow, microfluidic, qRT-PCR system for RNA virus detection.
Fernández-Carballo B Leticia et al. Analytical and bioanalytical chemistry 2017 Nov
- Molecular detection of Cyclospora cayetanensis in human stool specimens using UNEX-based DNA extraction and real-time PCR.
Qvarnstrom Yvonne et al. Parasitology 2017 Nov 1-6
- Evaluation of the utility of conventional polymerase chain reaction for detection and species differentiation in human hookworm infections.
Chidambaram Meenachi et al. Tropical parasitology (2) 111-116
EPIDEMIOLOGY / OUTBREAKS / TRANSMISSION
- Application of whole genome sequence data in analyzing the molecular epidemiology of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7/H.
Yokoyama Eiji et al. International journal of food microbiology 2017 Oct 39-45
- Frequent undetected MRSA ward-based transmission linked to patient sharing between hospitals.
Tosas Auguet Olga et al. Clinical infectious diseases : an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America 2017 Oct
- Tracking and responding to an outbreak of tuberculosis using MIRU-VNTR genotyping and whole genome sequencing as epidemiological tools.
Black Anne T et al. Journal of public health (Oxford, England) 2017 Jul 1-8
- Research Roadmap for Tuberculosis Transmission Science: Where Do We Go From Here and How Will We Know When We're There?
Auld Sara C et al. The Journal of infectious diseases 2017 Nov (suppl_6) S662-S668
- Drivers of Tuberculosis Transmission.
Mathema Barun et al. The Journal of infectious diseases 2017 Nov (suppl_6) S644-S653
- Characterization of HIV diversity, phylodynamics and drug resistance in Washington, DC.
Pérez-Losada Marcos et al. PloS one 2017 (9) e0185644
ANTIMICROBIALS / VACCINES / INTERVENTIONS
- Metagenomic Analysis of Therapeutic PYO Phage Cocktails from 1997 to 2014.
Villarroel Julia et al. Viruses 2017 Nov (11)
- siRNA rescues nonhuman primates from advanced Marburg and Ravn virus disease.
Thi Emily P et al. The Journal of clinical investigation 2017 Nov
- Containment strategies to address the expanding threat of multidrug-resistant Candida auris.
McCarthy Matthew W et al. Expert review of anti-infective therapy 2017 Nov
- Genetics of human susceptibility to active and latent tuberculosis: present knowledge and future perspectives
Abel L, et al. Lancet Infect Dis, Oct 27, 2017.
- Inherited Chromosomally Integrated Human Herpesvirus 6 Genomes Are Ancient, Intact, and Potentially Able To Reactivate from Telomeres.
Zhang Enjie et al. Journal of virology 2017 Nov (22)
- Whole genome sequencing of extreme phenotypes identifies variants in CD101 and UBE2V1 associated with increased risk of sexually acquired HIV-1.
Mackelprang Romel D et al. PLoS pathogens 2017 Nov (11) e1006703
- Respiratory Syncytial Virus Genotypes, Host Immune Profiles and Disease Severity in Young Children Hospitalized with Bronchiolitis.
Rodriguez-Fernandez Rosa et al. The Journal of infectious diseases 2017 Oct
- "Omic" investigations of protozoa and worms for a deeper understanding of the human gut "parasitome".
Marzano Valeria et al. PLoS neglected tropical diseases 2017 Nov (11) e0005916
- A polymorphism in the haptoglobin, haptoglobin related protein locus is associated with risk of human sleeping sickness within Cameroonian populations.
Ofon Elvis et al. PLoS neglected tropical diseases 2017 Oct (10) e0005979
- Gastric microbial community profiling reveals a dysbiotic cancer-associated microbiota.
Ferreira Rui M et al. Gut 2017 Nov
- Gut microbiome influences efficacy of PD-1-based immunotherapy against epithelial tumors.
Routy Bertrand et al. Science (New York, N.Y.) 2017 Nov
- Gut Microbiome and Putative Resistome of Inca and Italian Nobility Mummies.
Santiago-Rodriguez Tasha M et al. Genes 2017 Nov (11)
- Samples and techniques highlighting the links between obesity and microbiota.
Angelakis Emmanouil et al. Microbial pathogenesis 2017 May 119-126
Note: indicates that at least one CDC-affiliated author; indicates that the article addresses aspects of implementation or evaluation in clinical or public health practice.
Disclaimer: Articles listed in the Advanced Molecular Detection Clips are selected by the CDC Office of Public Health Genomics to provide current awareness of the scientific literature and news. Inclusion in the clips does not necessarily represent the views of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention nor does it imply endorsement of the article's methods or findings. CDC and DHHS assume no responsibility for the factual accuracy of the items presented. The selection, omission, or content of items does not imply any endorsement or other position taken by CDC or DHHS. Opinion, findings and conclusions expressed by the original authors of items included in the Clips, or persons quoted therein, are strictly their own and are in no way meant to represent the opinion or views of CDC or DHHS. References to publications, news sources, and non-CDC Websites are provided solely for informational purposes and do not imply endorsement by CDC or DHHS.
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario