| http://www.cms.gov/Outreach- |
Subject Line: Informal Public Comment Period: Proposed CMS PPS-Exempt Cancer Hospital Measures
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has contracted with Mathematica Policy Research (HHS Contract: HHSM-500-2008-00020I, Task Order: HHSM-500-TO002) to develop measures that will assess the quality of care provided to Medicare beneficiaries in 11 PPS-exempt cancer hospitals. Development of measures for these hospitals is required under Section 3005 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA). With input from CMS and a contractor-convened Technical Expert Panel (TEP), Mathematica Policy Research and the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) developed three candidate measures for the Prospective Payment System (PPS)-Exempt Cancer Hospital Quality Reporting (PCHQR) Program. The candidate measures address gaps in measurement areas not covered by the five measures CMS recently adopted for the PCHQR Program.
1. Initiation of Osteoclast Inhibitors for Patients with Multiple Myeloma or Bone Metastases Associated with Breast Cancer, Prostate Cancer, or Lung Cancer
2. Overuse of Imaging for Staging Breast Cancer at Low Risk of Metastasis
3. Potentially Avoidable Admissions and Emergency Department Visits Among Patients Receiving Outpatient Chemotherapy
CMS is requesting that stakeholders review and provide feedback on these measures. Please note that this informal comment period is separate from the CMS rulemaking process. All comments are welcome, but we are particularly interested in feedback on:· Relevance of the measures to the mission of public reporting under ACA 3005
· Usefulness of the measures to improve quality of care for Medicare patients
· Feasibility of data collection for the purpose of public reporting under ACA 3005
All comments on the measures must be received by July 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM (EDT), prior to the July 4th holiday. Please use the following link to submit your comments: http://publiccomments.ncqa.
org/home.aspx. Thank you for your support and participation.
Hospitals Open Door Forum
Overview:The Hospital & Hospital Quality Open Door Forum (ODF) addresses the concerns and questions of the Hospital service setting. The very broad scope of topics discussed within this forum, include payment, coverage, conditions of participation, billing and many other current issues that are related to policy implementation. The Inpatient PPS, Outpatient PPS, provisions of the Affordable Care Act and other laws that affect the setting are all covered, and a recurring update from the areas of the Hospital Quality Initiative including the Hospital CAHPS initiative. Timely announcements and clarifications regarding important rulemaking, agency program initiatives and other related areas are also included in the forums.
Please see the announcement in the Downloads section below titled, "Informal Public Comment Period: Proposed CMS PPS-Exempt Cancer Hospital Measures. CMS is requesting that stakeholders review and provide feedback on these measures. All comments on the measures must be received by July 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM (EDT), prior to the July 4th holiday.
On Thursday, May 16th, CMS hosted a webinar titled, “Data.Medicare.Gov: Get Started!” Please see the Downloads section below for the link to the May 16th webinar. Thank you.
On Thursday, May 16th, 1pm-2pm ET, The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services will be hosting a webinar, “Data.Medicare.Gov: Get Started!” to: Provide an introduction to Data.Medicare.Gov; Demonstrate options for accessing the data; and Describe how to make use of the site’s tools for exploring and interacting with the data. Please see the Downloads section below for full announcement with background information and registration instructions.
The next Hospital & Hospital Quality Open Door Forum is scheduled for Tuesday, May 14, 2013 from 2:00pm – 3:00pm, ET. If you wish to participate, dial 1-800-837-1935; Conference ID: 78865709. Please see Downloads section below for full participation instructions including the agenda. Thank you for your continued interest in the CMS Open Door Forums.
CMS Seeks Public Comment on Defining QIO Service Areas - Comments Accepted through Friday, May 31, 2013. Please see Downloads section below for full announcement.
CMS will host a National Provider Call on Wednesday, May 22, 2013, titled: National Physician Payment Transparency Program (Open Payments) - What You Need To Know. Please see Downloads section below for full announcement.
LTCH Quality Reporting Program Requirements for FY 2014 - May 15, 2013 Deadline for FY 2014 Payment Determination. See Downloads section below for full Announcement/Reminder.
The Durable Medical Equipment, Orthotics and Supplies (DMEPOS) Competitive Bidding Program will be changing how some Medicare patients get covered supplies. Be sure to give your Medicare patients the correct information. Please review (copy and paste the link into your web browser) the following link for information for people who refer Medicare beneficiaries for DMEPOS: https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/DMEPOSCompetitiveBid/index.html?redirect=/DMEPOSCompetitiveBid/01_overview.asp.
Please see the "New Electronic Mailing List to Keep Fee-For-Service Providers Informed" announcement in the Downloads section below.
CMS has made available two new recorded training sessions for IRFs on the QIES Technical Support Office (QTSO) website. The sessions are as follows:
1. IRF-PAI Assessment Submission Process – provides the necessary instructions for submitting IRF-PAI assessment data to the ASAP IRF-PAI Submission System beginning October 1, 2012.
2. CASPER Reports for IRFs – provides information about accessing and interpreting the ASAP system-generated IRF-PAI Facility Final Validation Report, identifies other reports available to IRFs and gives an overview of the basic functionality of the CASPER Reporting application.
• The recordings can be accessed via the e-University page on the QTSO website at https://www.qtso.com/webex/qiesclasses.php.
• Please contact the QTSO Help Desk at (800) 339-9313 or email@example.com if you have questions regarding this training session.
- Monday, June 3, 2013 - Informal Public Comment Period: Proposed CMS PPS-Exempt Cancer Hospital Measures [PDF, 96KB]
- May 17, 2013 - Link to the May 16, 2013 CMS Webinar titled "Data.Medicare.Gov: Get Started!" [PDF, 146KB]
- Thursday, May 16, 2013 - Webinar - Data.Medicare.Gov: Get Started! [PDF, 269KB]
- Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - Announcement & Agenda - Hospital/Hospital Quality Open Door Forum [PDF, 77KB]
- Thursday, May 2, 2013 - CMS Seeks Public Comment on Defining QIO Service Areas - Comments Accepted through Friday, May 31st [PDF, 270KB]
- Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - National Provider Call - National Physician Payment Transparency Program (Open Payment) - What You Need To Know [PDF, 281KB]
- New Electronic Mailing List to Keep Medicare Fee-For-Service Providers Informed [PDF, 263KB]
- Q&A- Type A and B Emergency Departments Under the OPPS (PDF, 43KB) [PDF, 43KB]
- CMS Intermediary/Carrier Directory [PDF, 371KB]
- Q&A- OPPS Device Upgrade (PDF, 12KB) [PDF, 11KB]
- Hospital & Hospital Quality Open Door Forum Mailing List Sign-Up - Opens in a new window
- Government Printing Office Federal Register - Opens in a new window
- PEPPER Resources - Opens in a new window
- HHS Indian Health Service Medicare-Like Rates Information - Opens in a new window
- QualityNet - Opens in a new window
- CDC, NCHS- ICD-9 Diagnosis Information - Opens in a new window
- HHS Hospital Compare Website - Opens in a new window
- Hospital Center
- Hospital Quality Initiative
- Hospital Outpatient PPS
- Hospital-Acquired Conditions (Present on Admission Indicator)
- Medicare Contracting Reform
- Hospital Discharge Appeal Notices